Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Week 6

Wikipedia is a good, but not always reliable source to use.  The idea of having a source that anyone can add to or edit is both brilliant and dangerous.  If I have a question, wikipedia is the first place I look.  When using it in the classroom it is important to communicate the possibilities of accessing inaccurate information.  That is why it is necessary to use other sources in addition to wikipedia.  I like to believe that what I read is accurate, but I will have to remind myself to always questions its accountability.

The article on MySpace was interesting to read.  I can see the educational value of using MySpace, but I also think it is a scary think to incorporate into the classroom.  At least with young students.  I definitely see the advantages of its use.  Students are acquiring a countless number of skills as they communicate, copy and paste code, and embed media into their pages.  I don't think they realize the skills they are learning.  I may  not feel comfortable using MySpace in the classroom, but I would like to take advantage of the skills my students are coming into the classroom with and utilize them by incorporating similar media and technologies which are safe.

No comments: